Killing the Witches: The Horror of Salem, Massachusetts

Unabridged Audiobook

Release Date
September 2023
9 hours 3 minutes
With over 19 million copies in print and a remarkable record of #1 New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestsellers, Bill O'Reilly's Killing series is the most popular series of narrative histories in the world.

Killing the Witches revisits one of the most frightening and inexplicable episodes in American history: the events of 1692 and 1693 in Salem Village, Massachusetts. What began as a mysterious affliction of two young girls who suffered violent fits and exhibited strange behavior soon spread to other young women. Rumors of demonic possession and witchcraft consumed Salem. Soon three women were arrested under suspicion of being witches--but as the hysteria spread, more than 200 people were accused. Thirty were found guilty, twenty were executed, and others died in jail or their lives were ruined.

Killing the Witches tells the dramatic history of how the Puritan tradition and the power of early American ministers shaped the origins of the United States, influencing the founding fathers, the American Revolution, and even the Constitutional Convention. The repercussions of Salem continue to the present day, notably in the real-life story behind The Exorcist and in contemporary “witch hunts” driven by social media. The result is a compulsively listenable audiobook about good, evil, community panic, and how fear can overwhelm fact and reason.

A Macmillan Audio production from St. Martin’s Press.
Profile Avatar

Ironic the witches were part of a cancel culture and then the same happened with Bill O’Reilly. Different topic but the same result. We need Bill back on the airwaves to make sense of our current world. This book is a good read with excellent narration, as always.

Profile Avatar

As always, Bill’s history lessons are given in “fun” fashion.

Profile Avatar
John H.

I really like and enjoy the "Killing" series of Bill O'Reilly. However this book is mistitled. Only about 25% is about the witch hunt in Salem and colonial America. The remaining 75% is a rehash of the founding of the US of A. It looks like there just wasn't enough there on the witch hunts to fill the book for they used historical filler.

Profile Avatar
Patricia N.

The first few chapters are about the witch trials. The remaining half of the book is a rambling account of Ben Franklins life, pirates and whatnot. I stopped listening to it since it no longer was relevant to the title.

Profile Avatar

I LOVED this book and was intrigued for the entire read. Telling anyone who would listen what I was learning and recommending it to them! Can’t wait to start another Bill O’Reilly book!

Profile Avatar

Another excellent book by O’Reilly.

1 book added to cart
View Cart